Wednesday 8 June 2011

By Popular Demand...

My English Tense Poem!

TENSION
I’m really feeling rather tense.
These English verbs - they make no sense!

I know there are these grammar rules,
But the speaker always seems to choose
How he or she sees the action,
I’m afraid it’s giving me a nasty reaction.

Look at the future, please do!
Can you explain it to me, you?
These strange tenses, all snaky and sinuous,
Don’t get me started on the future continuous!

I understand ‘will have been’,
But what’s this ‘will have been being’
I’m seeing?

You think the present’s easy?
I tell you, it makes me queasy!

I think ‘I get up at 6 every day’
Is alright, it’s OK,
But ‘I arrive at 6 tomorrow’?
No, no, no –no way!

The present perfect leaves me confused.
Have you ever seen all the rules?

I know I saw him yesterday.
So why can I say
‘I’ve seen him’, eh?

Now, modal verbs – you must be joking!
Must, may and might leave me choking.

I can write, ‘He could be home’,
But ‘He can be home’
Only makes my teacher groan.

‘But ‘could’ is past, isn’t that right?’
‘We can use ‘could’ to be polite!’

As for conditionals-well, I’d like to explain
But honestly, they’re a right pain:
So ask me, please don’t:
I would if I could, but I can’t, so I won’t.

So now I’m going to do what I should have done first –
Learn French – I’m sure it can be no worse….

Copyright © Paul Gallantry 2005.

1 comment:

Smaragda Vamvakari said...

English! It's a wonderful language isn't it ? Thanks fro sharing this.

Labels

Motivation (12) ESOL (11) Methodology (8) Acquisition (7) Learning (7) Portfolios (5) Dip TESOL (4) blended learning (4) dogme (4) EFL (3) FE (3) language citizens (3) language commuters (3) language denizens (3) language tourists (3) learner attitudes (3) linguistic hierarchy (3) marking (3) technology (3) #eltchat (2) English (2) Hierarchy of needs (2) L1 (2) Maslow (2) Natural Approach (2) SATs (2) SLA (2) Silent Way (2) Speaker and listener roles (2) The Language City (2) Turkish (2) VLEs (2) attitudes (2) differentiation (2) elt (2) handling and manipulating (2) iPad (2) language and depression (2) language at intermediate level (2) language city model (2) lesson (2) lesson planning (2) moodle (2) phonology and phonetics (2) smart phones (2) speaking (2) teaching (2) ALTE (1) Arabic (1) CEFR (1) CLL (1) Cadbury's Creme Eggs (1) Classroom activity (1) Communication (1) DTLLS (1) ELT Unplugged (1) ETS (1) French As An Evil Language (1) GLAW profilies (1) Higher level students (1) L1 context (1) Language Interaction (1) Observations (1) P4C (1) Steve Krashen (1) Syllabus (1) TPR (1) actuive vocabulary (1) advice (1) affective filter (1) ambiguous language (1) approaches (1) apps (1) articulator (1) aspect (1) blockbuster (1) boardwork (1) bullying (1) childhood acquisition (1) citizen (1) citizenship (1) city guide (1) classroom techniques (1) cognitive tasks (1) conjunctions (1) copyright (1) creating content (1) curating content (1) diagram (1) digital literacy (1) dimension (1) disruption (1) distance learning (1) e-learning (1) easter (1) encoding (1) english uk (1) examiner (1) experiments (1) failure (1) fossilization (1) future forms (1) grade scales (1) grading (1) grammar (1) group work (1) handedness (1) holistic learning (1) integration (1) interlanguage (1) l2 (1) lesson ideas (1) lexis (1) listening (1) literacy (1) manager (1) meaningful interaction (1) mindfulness (1) mondays (1) neologism (1) online content (1) page o rama (1) passive grammar (1) passive vocabulary (1) podcast (1) politics (1) power law distributions (1) presentation (1) problem solving (1) provider (1) register (1) research (1) resolutions (1) routine (1) sentence structure (1) silent running (1) skills and systems (1) stereotypes (1) style (1) suggestopedia (1) teacher talk time (1) tense (1) tenses (1) total bloody genius (1) tutorial aids (1) tutors (1) twitter (1) using IT (1) validity (1) varieties of English (1) web profiles (1) world englishes (1) writing (1)